Tuesday 18 November 2008

The Sexual Politics of Voyeurism

I was teaching a session on ‘Gender in Performance’ on Monday. We did much of the kind of stuff you might expect: a discussion of the week’s reading (extracts from feminist writers like Butler and Cixous), a practical exploration of ‘gendered’ movement (How does one move ‘like a girl’? ‘Like a guy’? What lies behind these distinctions?), and a further discussion regarding some of the ways in which we create our genders, or have our genders created for us (talking of which, check out this clip for an amusing and rather terrifying example of the ways in which we force stereotypical gender roles on kids at a ridiculously young age - it's a few minutes in).

So far, so enlightened. Everyone seemed to be getting it: yes, that’s it, we’re coerced into adopting patterns of gendered behaviour according to social norms, and that is Not A Good Thing. Then I played a DVD of DV8 Physical Theatre’s excellent dance-theatre piece Enter Achilles (video here), a performance which playfully deconstructs British ‘masculine’ behaviour. At one point, two of the male performers almost kiss. A classroom full of enlightened university students cringed, and one student emitted an audible ‘Ew, no!’

Why this bizarre taboo about men kissing? Why does it (much like kissing between older people) seem to prompt involuntary shudders among onlookers, not to mention laughter, catcalls and exclamations of protest? Certainly it breaks a social norm, but that doesn’t quite seem to account for the physical effect it appears to have on a large number of people.

I suspect it’s something to do with the way we’re primed to view physical expressions of affection between people. On television and film, we’re encouraged to identify with the character of our own gender when watching a heterosexual love scene. Sometimes it’s straightforward: boys empathise with Ross, girls with Rachel (theoretically, anyway – of course this doesn’t account for gay viewers, and their perspective tends to be marginalised on mainstream TV). Sometimes the film only really gives us one point of identification: in action films, for example, it’s generally the (young, heterosexual) male lead, so the (young, heterosexual) female character with whom our hero engages in sexual activity becomes an object rather than a subject. The female/other viewer is excluded from the film’s assumptions regarding the desires of its audience and thus the film takes on its identity as a (young, heterosexual) ‘boys’ film’. And the same thing works in reverse: in many romantic comedies, for example, our central character is a (young, heterosexual) female, the object of her affections is a (young, heterosexual) male, the male/other viewer is excluded, and the film becomes a ‘chick flick’.

Naturally there’s something depressingly black-and-white about all this. But there’s also something oddly voyeuristic. We seem to be primed by the media now to imagine ourselves in the position of one of the sexual partners in any physical expression of sexuality we may witness. The implication of any public display of affection seems to be: I may be engaging in this activity, but you, the watcher who is like me, must imagine you are in my position.

Watching gay men kiss, we feel the voice of television telling us we must imagine we are one of those gay men. And because of social taboo, many of us are unwilling to play that role – to the point that we shudder as if we are being forced to put our own bodies through such taboo-breaking. In a sense, we are.

Why, incidentally, does the taboo seem to be heavier around male-male kisses than female-female ones? (Of course both are taboo, but the latter seem to be actively encouraged at drunken student parties, for example - widely construed as ‘hot’ - while the former occur more rarely and are seen as comic or disgusting.) I suspect it may be something to do with the mediatisation of kissing again: it’s more usually the female character who is objectified in filmed love scenes, and in our culture, women are more used to being forced to adopt the position of the y-h-male viewer than the male viewer is of adopting the y-h-female (or any other) perspective. Put simply, we’re more used to the objectified female figure than we are to the objectified male. Objectifying the woman rather than the man is our cultural default position.

In any kiss, then (screened or otherwise), the imagined voyeur – regardless of his or her actual gender or sexuality – is a young heterosexual male. The female-female kiss says to this voyeur: ‘Identify with one of us! Either of us! Both of us are kissing an objectified female! You’re overloaded with choice!’ Whereas the male-male kiss says: ‘Neither of us are kissing an objectified female! We refuse the cultural assumption behind voyeurism! Your position is untenable! You can no longer imagine you are a young heterosexual male!’

So that’s why boys kissing is gross. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I took your classes.

I found myself nodding my head a lot as I read this, but not generally in agreement (because I like to be as apathetic as possible when it comes to gender politics, despite all of the labels and whatever pointed out to me by pro-actives in their smug self-riteous way - guess what, turds? I don't give a shit - oh the pun...)

Anyway, as someone who likes to read and think about this sort of thing as opposed to act on it, I found myself nodding.

You'd be surprised about the girl-on-girl taboo. Both 'objects-of-our-affection' have to be physically crafted in a particular way: Slim, perfect breasts, long hair (usually a blonde or brown - you can alternate), slightly tanned, long eye lashes, full lips, legs up to their eyebrows... I don't need to go on, do I?

It's a lot harder for someone like yours truely (just look at my mug shot ffs - would you think that's 'ok'?) to get away with snogging that special someone (and they have to be special because I don't do it because it's hot - I do it because I'm attracted to whomever she may be, and thus would like to cultivate a relationship) because I don't look like that wonderful ideal (which I don't find attractive, oddly enough) of the objectified female.

In fact, as you may know, I look like a man if viewed from behind. Something that has been drawn to my attentions many time by the unwitting public. But only small children have the magical awareness of seeing my masculinity and being completely convinced of it. Usually out loud and to the embarrasement of their mothers.

I sometimes hope that my mild gender projection confusion could be the hope for children everywhere to grow up and be ok with difference. But I'm not that vain and society is stubborn.

Point is, taboo with women is still broken, even if it's acceptable with the creation of the ideal, essential feminine essence. I'm walking evidence of that.

I have handful of taboos that I engage with, that would shock the hair of many of your students white. And I'd enjoy every minute of it ;) (taboo number one).

Steve Purcell said...

Society is indeed stubborn. I think my next post's going to be about that. I hope it didn't seem like I was disregarding the kinds of taboos lesbian and bi women have to deal with in my post: I'm not at all.

I'd love to watch you shocking the hair of my students white... ;)

One of the problems with being a mild-mannered mostly-heterosexual male when teaching this sort of thing is that I find myself being conciliatory and self-deprecating, which doesn't do much for taboo-busting. :)

Anonymous said...

Nah don't worry about it Steve. I've learnt, through the regular barrage of political lesbianism, that it is best to not care and just go about my own business.

I don't agree with such barrages or the persecution that arrives with them (on all sides of those who have some issue with it in one way or another).

Be bold Steve, be bold. You can't have the perspective of everyone; it'd break your brain for a start and then leave your own perspective drowing miserably amidst the wash of thousands of utterances.

Mostly heterosexual hehehe. Steve, you dark horse ;)

As for your students, we'd have our asses sued off and our potential careers blitzed...